I am referring to the hundreds and thousands of administrative peeps that campuses across Canada seem to hire. I don't know about your campus, but mine has particularly given me a hard time. Sometimes I think they go out of their way to find new and innovative ways to piss me off.
The osap office.... 2nd year university.... "Dear, is Elly your 'real' name?... are you sure the name Elly appears on your birth certificate?...were you even born in Canada?....or do you happen to have your birth certificate on you so i can varify it?"
LADY! You are kind of crossing the line here! First of all, do not call me "dear" and who the hell carries their birth certificate in their back pocket?!? (if you do and you are reading this, is that something i should have on me at all times?!?) She didn't just kind of cross the line...she DID cross it...she crossed the "I think I'm going to punch you in the face for suggesting that because I do not have a generic North American name, you are going to make me go back to the gov't office and change the "hyphenated" CHINESE translated into English middle name that I have, just so I can line up for another hour and look you in the face and say, here is my brand new "improved" hyphenated North American-fied name line!!!" Yes, I was pretty pissed off! Btw, if she ever took a look at my birth certificate, it would have a great big British stamp across it!....4 weeks after the incident, I finally received my tuition money from the gov't...a whole $1000.
Fast forward to....today. I am at the Registrar's office because I recieved a letter saying that "You are not eligible for admissions to.....blah blah blah"
I was specifically told that my summer courses would factor into my average, so off I went to the Registrar's office. Who do I encounter? But another lady administrative peep..."Oh, but when you applied, you didn't notify us that you were a M_______ student...it doesn't say on my screen that you ever came to M_______."
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!?! My reply,"First off, when you saw my application and saw that I have a damn M_______ student number that begins with "03", meaning that I've been at this university since 2003, wouldn't you think that I have taken courses here before?!?!?! Also, what is wrong with M_________ 's technology?!?!?! Shouldn't it all be linked....i.e. one department can type in my name and student number and see the exact same info as another department." I ended up asking my Humanities Department for answers, and guess what, they were actually able to tell me something substantial!
Damn you administrative peeps...you have made my life at university awfully complicated and way more confusing than it should have been... but after 4 yrs or so.... despite all the mix-ups, rude remarks, and suggestively racial comments that I have received... I am still here....knowing that even at my lowest point in university, my life has still been better than yours!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment